How to Make a Campaign Video Studio on a Tight Budget
Video is a more powerful and accessible tool than ever, but you need the right setup. This week we’re walking you through how to make great videos on a tight budget. It’s increasingly likely that your usage of video will correlate to your campaign success so take notes!
I’ve been working to build a better office video/audio studio ever since I started My Campaign Coach. It’s been quite the evolution and I’ve learned a lot of hard lessons about what works and what doesn’t. At the end of the day, I think I’ve come up with about the best way out there to set up a fantastic home or office studio on a tight budget.
In this podcast, I walk you through the evolution of my studio setup and share all the information, advice and links you need to get yours up and running!
We’ll cover everything from how to pick the best room for your video studio to the camera, microphone, lighting, backdrop, software etc. Everything you need is right here!
It’s not high tech but I’ve included a sketch below of roughly how my office studio is set up. The one thing you don’t see on there is the two clamp lights that are located on the back of my chair and directly above my head. The backdrop hangs from brackets against the wall behind my chair.
Before we get into the podcast though, I want to make sure you’ve seen some of the great new things happening at My Campaign Coach:
- We’re launching a new podcast! In addition to publishing the How to Run for Office podcast each week, we’re starting the My Campaign Coach Minute on iTunes, and available on Amazon’s Alexa platform. It’ll be a short daily guide to top campaign tips that you can immediately put to work winning your race!
- Join the Elite Campaign Mastermind! We’re working to build a community of people who care about winning campaigns and want to make each other better. It’s a great way for you to connect more directly with our team as well as meet other folks with similar interests and concerns.
- Support My Campaign Coach! Listeners have asked me how they could show their support for the content that we’re creating and we just launched a brand new way you can help (in addition to the awesome ratings and reviews y’all are giving us!). Enter Patreon. This platform allows listeners to give small monthly financial gifts that help us keep the content flowing. Whether it’s $1 per month or more, every bit helps. PLUS, we’re giving free coaching opportunities and special deals to our Patreon Patrons!
- Check out these great recent podcasts! If you missed the Drew Ryun podcast on fundraising secrets and ground-game successes, or Chris Voss’ interview about using Hostage Negotiating strategies to win political battles, you NEED to check them out!
What You’ll Learn about Making a Campaign Video Studio In This Episode:
[00:00] Intro and Updates
[06:15] Why should you think about creating a DIY video studio?
[08:04] The saga of me setting up my studio and all the things I did WRONG + lessons learned
[10:42] Pick your studio space carefully
[13:31] How to find the right video camera for your studio
[18:27] What kind of microphone should I choose?
[21:08] Which lighting setup should I use in my studio?
[25:24] What about my video background?
[29:23] Notecards and teleprompters and how to keep your message tight
[34:03] Which software programs and apps should I use for recording and editing video?
[38:21] Content is king, so here’s how to make sure yours is great!
[42:44] Awesome tips for looking great on camera!
[47:15] Conclusion, closing and outro
Links from the Podcast:
Check out these tutorials about how to set up a DIY video studio and ways to look good on camera:
- DIY Office Video Studio
- How To DIY: Home Video Recording Studio Setup + Video Editing
- 6 Quick Tips for Looking Good on Camera
- 7 Expert Tips for Looking Good on Video
Links to the Products mentioned in the Podcast:
Teleprompter kit and App: